21 de setembro de 2006

What's your name?

(in train, Céline sitting alone, Jesse comes up, with his bag, to her)

Jesse: Alright, I have an admittedly insane idea, but if I don't ask you this, it's just, uh, you know, it's gonna haunt me the rest of my life.

Céline: What?

Jesse: Um.. (thinks). I want to keep talking to you, you know. I have no idea what your situation is, but, uh, but I feel like we have some kind of, uh, connection. Right?

Céline: Yeah, me too.

Jesse: Yeah, right, well, great. So listen, so here's the deal. This is what we should do. You should get off the train with me here in Vienna, and come check out the town.

Céline: What?

Jesse: Come on. It'll be fun. Come on.

Céline: What would we do?

Jesse: Umm, I don't know. All I know is I have to catch an Austrian Airlines flight tomorrow morning at 9:30, and I don't really have enough money for a hotel, so I was just going to walk around, and it would be a lot more fun if you came with me. And if I turn out to be some kind of psycho, you know, you just get on the next train.

(Céline smiles, still unsure)

Jesse: Alright, alright. Think of it like this. Um, uh, jump ahead, ten, twenty years, okay, and you're married. Only your marriage doesn't have that same energy that it used to have, you know. You start to blame your husband. You start to think about all those guys you've met in your life, and what might have happened if you'd picked up with one of them, right? (Céline starts laughing a bit) Well, I'm one of those guys. That's me, you know. So think of this as time travel, from then, to now, uh, to find out what you're missing out on. See, what this really could be is a gigantic favor to both you and your future husband, to find out that you're not missing out on anything. I'm just as big a loser as he is, totally unmotivated, totally boring, and, uh, you made the right choice, and you're really happy (motions to towards the door).

Céline: (thinks) Let me get my bag.

Jesse: Yeah.

(They leave train, go into train station)

Céline: What's your name?


Before Sunrise, Richard Linklater, 1995
Sigh*...